Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Personal Banker - advice
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
Hi, im leaving saf in a couple of months time after serving a bond of 5 years and am graduating with a SIM - UOL finance deg.

I've went for a few job interviews with various banks for the position Personal banker. From what i've learnt is, they are called Personal bankers, Personal financial Consultant, Relationship Managers, etc.

I know its tough because it requires alot of determination, capacity (soft skills) and loads of hardwork. Its been my 'aim' to get this job for awhile already. Yesterday, i had my 2nd interview with POSB and was utterly shocked when presented with certain information.

BRANCH MANAGER:
1) "I have family but no life. I work from 8am - 11pm almost everyday"
2) "This job takes the hell out of you"
3) "mon to sat full day, alternate sunday roadshows"
4) "The time now is 7pm, ITS STILL EARLY"

I wanted to ask her if she's married but she was really scary and demanding. Also, i wanted to ask if she has the time to spend her money away.

Okay, back to myself, Im leaving saf because i wanna make a name for myself as i believe i can do better in the corporate world. Im ready to strive hard and do whatever it takes to succeed.

HOWEVER, i really believe that i should spend some time with my family and my girlfriend. Im really vexed up. I need some advice. Is she scaring me off? Is she those career-minded freak? Is the Personal Banker role in banks really this busy and no life? I wouldnt mind work 6 full days a week and at least spend a day with friends or family. BUT 7 days a week 4 weeks a mth?...? seriously...? Where's the work-life-balance that has been advocated?

I really need some constructive advice if this job is really that taxing and if i should look for other jobs instead.
Relax and just take the job first if you are offered. You may like it or leave if you really hate it. There is no bond working in a bank.