Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Guideline in Job Search
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2012, 01:06 PM

miwashi is on a distinguished road

Exactly. That's why I'm trying to capitalize on all the related experience from my first 2 jobs, since my current one doesn't give me any ammo to use at interviews. In fact, when I go for interviews and they ask me about my current job, they can still laugh at what I'm doing and ask me 'how I ended up doing this kind of work'. It may sound elitist but I also note that if some people look at my job this way, especially directors in ministries, there are definitely many others who feel the same.

Anyway editorial work is not about teaching english. Many people think it is. They think editorial work is checking spelling, grammar, punctuation, and so on. It's much more than that. Deciding your audience, medium, tone, what content to deliver, what not to deliver, showing how it relates to them, and so on. Unfortunately during 15 minute interviews it's hard to give interviewers examples of this, so I have to show printouts of work I produced more than 6 years ago... but hopefully by June this year my new article will be out in Scientometrics. But these are not really editorial skills, more like typography skills. Editorial skills are all about being an expert in a field and knowing what is newsworthy, and making your articles fit the trend. That's why so many science editors are professors in their parent institutions, rather than english teachers.

There's also a world of difference between an editor for Her World magazine and an editor for Nature.

anyway this is really going off tangent from the TS's topic.

Last edited by miwashi; 28-02-2012 at 01:08 PM.