Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 17-04-2022, 04:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To be honest it’s not difficult to reply texts especially if it’s queries. I never hesitate to reply immediately to work or student texts. Anyway, most people, even students are quite understanding and mature enough not to spam you on the weekends. Person opinion here ~
Not difficult to reply doesn’t mean you have to do it. It is important to respect boundaries and recognise that teachers need their own space too. While it may be a way for a teacher to build bonds with students via texts, teachers ought to be mindful about the kind of interaction they have with students beyond work setting in order not to cross the line. They are NEVER your friend, as long as they are still under your duty of care. And making comms via other platforms a norm might result in students who do not have that kind of interaction with you to feel left out, and those who managed to do so to feeling more privileged.

Your action might also result in unhealthy comparison among students/ parents. “Why is it that Xxx can reply my enquiry over the weekend yet you can’t”. Even if one tries to justify that it is personal preference and teachers are not obliged to do so after work hours, it is still inevitable for the stakeholders to enjoy the preferential treatment.

My take is:
1. You can give out your number, but let students and parents know that comms should be restricted to work hours.
2. Establish understanding that messages/calls should be pertaining to work matters ONLY. And they should be items that require more urgent attention. Else, bring up the matters in person during school hours.