Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much $ do you give your parents every month?
View Single Post
Old 27-02-2012, 12:25 PM

alwaysnforever is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My fiance and I earn a combined income of $13k+. It is largely my income. Her parents though much less well-off than mine are both retirees. They are very nice people and easy going.

Our arrangement is that my wife-to-be gives an allowance to her parents every month whilst I am in-charge of contributing to my family.

I give $2000 per month to my parents whilst my fiance gives only $200 (about 10% of her salary). We deliberately hide my income from my them as we fear it may create unhappiness.

Do you guys think this is a fair arrangement? Should I be giving a portion of my salary to upkeep them as well?

My parents don't need my contribution at all to be honest. They have passive income of about $15k per month from rental and stocks and are still both working. My contribution to them is more of a gesture and also to prevent my relatives from gossiping.

In return for my monthly contribution, my parents have given us a house + car. Plus, my father insists on paying for all family holidays. His theory is that all his children are equal and if he pays for one, he will pay for all. I have 3 siblings.

However, when I discussed with my mum about increasing my contribution to my parents-in-law, this struck a raw nerve. My parents got quite upset with that suggestion.

It seems that when we do get married (this year), things are going to get even more messy. Really don't know how to solve this issue
You could always give your in laws allowance and tell your parents otherwise. Save any unnecessary trouble