Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Beware of People who claim to have "Doctorates"
View Single Post
Old 31-08-2008, 02:54 PM
e--

Default 2549

i do not know why people are so enamoured by PhD and Dr this and that. if anything - it will just make me sceptical if someone tries to spruce their "credentials" in business. a phd is only necessary in research and academia and in those fields, you would imagine that people do have a semblance of what degrees are credible. in business/finance? no way - maybe in quant finance that's about it.
Also, absolutely hate it when people sign their business cards with John Tan, B.Com, BSc, and FCSPA, and all other funny letters past their name - i suspect that is more of a ploy to impress heartlanders than anything.

Also, I don't agree with Dr AC, on all PhD's who have "substance and deserve their reconition" - it all depends on the rigor and in what field. In my disciple - I don't think a PhD is hard to get at all.

Btw, I'm not in academia and not in Singapore. My industry's/countries views on PhDs outside the fields of academia and research will probably mirror mine.