Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - normal degree in stat board vs ministry
View Single Post
Old 23-02-2012, 03:57 PM

miwashi is on a distinguished road

actually i don't understand this.

Even with high attrition rates, there are still going to be more people left than deputy director positions, and not everyone is going to be able to be shoehorned into the limited positions. So is finally ending up at deputy director level the norm or exception? I feel it is the latter.

In my current workplace I notice alot of people repositioning themselves after joining, neglecting all those low-profile menial work (that they're supposed to do) and taking on those high-profile tasks that bosses notice (and have value in the outside world), and quitting after 1 or 2 years of boastable experience in these.

Personally, I think it's quite unethical. Like for example in my first 3 years in my job I was walking around picking up rubbish in the hot sun and doing other useless work that didn't develop any useful skills, but I notice new staff don't have to do this and they are given attention-commanding work very early.

But this practice definitely increases your desirability to other companies, of course.