Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - normal degree in stat board vs ministry
View Single Post
Old 23-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszzz View Post
hi all.. been reading invaluable advices here and have a question of my own..

i'm currently in the midst of making a job switch away from my current job at a stat board.. went for interviews blah blah blah... now i got 2 offers, one from a ministry and one from another stat board..

the thing is i am not a scholar.. heck.. mine only no honors degree nia.. been reading up on posts and was wondering if career progression-wise, is it better if i go stat board than go ministry??

ministry got alot more scholars? if i go ministry, i can expect NOT to progress very far?

stat board got their own schemes and hiring systems.. so that means i stand a better chance in career progression (less emphasis on my degree class)?

in all honestly, the offer from the ministry one seems higher post (head) than the one in stat board (manager).. but i got gut feeling that i might diao for v long in the ministry..

of course, i am not aiming to be CEO or wad lah.. but i'll be glad to reach Director level by mid-40s.. i know that it is possible in stat boards.. in ministry, director level reserved by scholars?

any advice?
If offer package is similar, go stat board, then jump to private. But I heard some stat boards have long hours - not that they have a lot of work to do, but the people are afraid to go home before the boss.