Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2022, 10:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Let me share with you my experience, not sure whether others can related to this or not.

What I observed is that sometimes we OT for the sake of OT. I used to work on a job that required us to work from 9 am to 3 am. But, in the morning up till lunchtime, we were like zombies and couldn't even focus on the screen. It was super unproductive and most of the time we just spent those few hours checking emails and organising folders.

Then, after lunch, we started to gain more 'consciousness' and started doing work at normal speed. Dinner usually took about 2 hours (seriously, 1 hour would be sufficient, but for some reason, it just dragged for 2 hours).

After midnight, we were just so exhausted and zoned out and became inefficient again. Not much work was actually done after midnight.

In the end, we could actually finish all the work before various reporting deadlines. However, as you can see, from 9 am to 3 am, much time was actually unproductive and wasted:
- 9 am till lunchtime (zombie-like)
- dinnertime (dragged for too long)
- midnight to 3 am (zoned out)

If those unneccessary hours can be shortened/removed so that we can get more rest to channel our energy into the normal working hours (9 am to 6 am), we can be more productive and still finish the work on time...
There is no point OTing to 3am if it means next day you are sleepy exhausted and unproductive for 5 hours.

Might as well just work less hours but more efficient.