Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 19-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i graduated in 2009. Nothing is worse than that, not even asian financial crisis in 1997. MAS had to step in n offer schemes for banks to hire fresh grads at 2k/mth.

i laughed at my peers back then when i look at their low pay. fast forward they are now earning more than me and are getting headhunted, while i am stuck here. at gatherings, they network among themselves talking abt opportunties n lobangs in the financial sector. Ever heard of anyone networking with a civil servant? That's right, nobody networked with me. At that pt i knew my career path was wrong already.

I missed the boat last time round. I am not going to miss the boat again. So don't come and tell me about the current crisis. It is nothing compared to the one I experienced.

Put it this way. If u wanna leave banking, u can go into civil service as mid position (may not be high flyer role though). There is no way a civil servant can join banking as mid position. Even scholars after serving their 6 yrs bond in civil service find it hard to break into banking no matter how fantastic their overseas education is.
Speak as though you went through both 1997 and 2009. Just because you went through a bad period doesnt mean it was THE worst period. There is no free lunch in this world. Finance ppl get paid high but they work insane hours to keep the job. Just because one is not headhunted or "networked" does not mean your value is any lesser. Yes u are right, a banker can join civil service and the reverse is harder. Life is about having options but at the end of the day, there is only one reality (we make our choice about option and live with it.