Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 02:33 PM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Only two ways to deal with such toxicity, one is to baotou to your boss that the SA is making things difficult and let the boss deal with it. But since you're asking here, you are probably afraid that will backfire on you since your senior is still a senior lol.

The second way is overwhelming praise of the trainee in front of your boss, like going out of your way to include the trainee and thanking him/her for the work + periodically letting boss know that trainee gave fantastic work on this or that.

If trainee ends up getting non-retained due to shenanigans, ask trainee to write you in as a reference for further applications (where you can help explain the situation) or help trainee write a recommendation letter.

Lawyering has lost its glory that it has in the past. Toxicity, abuse and dehumanisation are cankering private practice and the managing partners are tone deaf towards what happens. Not surprising because they care about the P&L and you are just a cog in the whole machineries.

I always told my trainees and juniors to take up another trade aside from lawyering. To my closer trainees or juniors, I guide them to code in python, using SQL databases, studying the CFA and CAIA, doing Bain or McKinsey consulting framework exercises, as well as taking up cybersecurity certs such as the CISA/CCISP.

STOP incarcerating yourself in the legal bubble. And Don't, I repeat, don't make yourself an exorbitant admin person, when your job can actually be done by a paralegal or anyone without a law degree. They just need on the job training to master the skills that you have, if any.