Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 02:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Did you fail crim? They did the fail one question fail whole paper nonsense starting from last year.

I think the failure rate of at least 1 mod at first-go is around 30+%. From anectodal evidence, i.e. asking like 50 pax for my year, around 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 ish failed 1 mod. Last year it was mostly centered around crim failure.

However, the retest generally they try to pass everyone for part B, so the overall pass rate for part b is 99% for the past few years.

Failing a mod is never ideal, but the effect generally depends on which firm you are in, and more imptly whether boss likes you. If you already got a target on your back for bad work, boss can use this as excuse to let you go. Otherwise, unless you are in highly competitive firms, it is not a death sentence. Especially with the increasing shortage of lawyers.

Suck it up and tell the firm and hope for your boss's understanding. You will need time to prep for the exam, so you will need to maybe have 1 week or so break from TC. You can also try to sweep the thing entirely under the rug, but it's quite difficult since you still need to work in that case.

For what it's worth, some of the better students I knew (i.e. super good grades) failed one mod, whereas some of the bottom-tier students passed all at one shot, so there's also a bit of luck involved, along with whether you prepped correctly and whether you worked efficiently.
Failed another paper but it was similar with the one question fail whole thing fail 🥲 thanks for the advice though, hope it all goes well!