Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2022, 12:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Medium sized law firm Assoc at the junior level.

I have learnt that a senior 1-2 years my senior (<3 PQE) has been saboing my Trainee for dealing in matters.

Whenever Trainee tries to assist, Senior has been cooking up stories to interfere.

I take a different approach. I would like to see Trainee excel and I hope Trainee will be retained.

Trainee produces fantastic work, but this Senior has been making things difficult, and myself included in things that involve us. I think the Senior sees Trainee as a threat, and wants to thumb Trainee down.

Partners are blissfully unaware. In fact, top down management has effectively encouraged unhealthy competition amongst the Assocs.

How can I help Trainee and toward Trainee's prospects of retention.
Only two ways to deal with such toxicity, one is to baotou to your boss that the SA is making things difficult and let the boss deal with it. But since you're asking here, you are probably afraid that will backfire on you since your senior is still a senior lol.

The second way is overwhelming praise of the trainee in front of your boss, like going out of your way to include the trainee and thanking him/her for the work + periodically letting boss know that trainee gave fantastic work on this or that.

If trainee ends up getting non-retained due to shenanigans, ask trainee to write you in as a reference for further applications (where you can help explain the situation) or help trainee write a recommendation letter.