Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 05:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Mid Sized Associate.

Been with current firm (Firm C) for 5-6 months, but its increasingly toxic and I don't think I can hold out much longer. I have a 2 month notice period. I think law is not what I want to do. But i'm not ruling out switching firms.

Should I find a job 1 month after I've tendered? Or just tender.

Been with 2 firms previously.

Firm B for 1 year. Firm A for a month.

Can I leave out my time at Firm A on CV? I was previously asked about the short stint prior to applying to Firm C?

Worried that the time at Firm A would hurt my employment prospects.

Grateful for any seniors thoughts
I had a similar experience where I was with a firm for X months (short period) and had to leave due to very pressing reasons which I would not want to discuss. I am in a much better place now all things considered. I would say look at your employment application carefully. Does the firm you are applying to require you or expect you to state every single job/employment you have done for the past few years in no uncertain terms? i.e. is there something akin to the strict duty of full and frank disclosure like the kind required in ex-parte injunctions? Consider also, is it in your latest tax returns or any document that you will submit to the firm? Did you put that firm publicly on linkedin etc? Be clear that what you are doing is exercising the discretion to put forward your strongest and best points in the application, and not concealing/lying about your history.

I had one interview where they asked why i left after X months. This i felt distracted from all the other points in my application.

I moved too. What I did was to search, apply and accept the formal offer prior to tendering the notice. You need to have a secure next stepping stone before leaving the first one. Also, read your letter of appointment carefully to see if there are any "penalties" for leaving.

All the best.