Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 02:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I understand the 12 month training contract period kick in from those passing the 2023 Part B exams? Does that mean beginning of 2023 is still 6 months tc for most trainees since they likely only passed the 2022 Part B then?

I’m asking this because I passed the 2019 Part B exams but did not do my tc- decided to start some other business instead. I plan to complete the tc and get called but was wondering if firms (small,medium or big) would still offer me 6 months tc if the 12monthe tc was fully rolled out from the 2023 cohort onwards.

Any thoughts?
No, the new 12-month TC requirement will not apply retroactively to qualified persons who passed pre-2023 Part B exams.

Go to Question 5 of the FAQ document at:
://.mlaw.gov.sg/news/press-releases/law-ministry-accepts-recommendations-to-strengthen-professional

On an unrelated note, the cynic in me thinks that the most recent salary revisions by the Big4 are to cater for the anticipated +6 months' TC, and there won't be any further adjustments in 2023 to reflect that law grads will spend additional +6 months drawing trainee allowance/pay (which is ~1/3 of an NQ pay). They're not doing this out of the generosity of their hearts nor fear of losing talent.

Which is still a net detriment to the 2023 batches. Thoughts?