Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 02:00 AM
a non-servant

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
?
admin service is a scheme of service for goodness sake. it is not the same kind of classification as per public/civil service.
Yes, I understand; but actually, my point was that all these different names for different kinds of "Services" can be confusing to some people sometimes, which is why I was being a bit sarcastic! haha
Especially since many of these so-called Public/Civil/Administrative "Servants" seem to dictate more than serve! haha
And even if they do serve, most of the time, they are just serving their immediate superiors and not the "public"... maybe they are serving the public in some invisible way, but how can they expect most people to believe that is true when most people don't even know them?
Anyway, it's none of my business, and I have no intention (and no ability anyway) of changing the status quo; I was just making my own observations, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
thanks also for citing wikipedia, it is indeed very 'authoritative'.
It is not, and I never said it is; but sometimes, it can be a good reference, or at least a starting point, for some people to learn new things from.

Some articles in Wikipedia certainly contain misinformation, but in the case of "Civil Service", it is true that at least in some countries, "Civil Service" and "Public Service" can mean the same thing.

Even in Singapore, according to the above-mentioned "PSD - FAQs":

"Within the Public Service is the Civil Service..."

so that means that ALL Civil Servants are Public Servants, but NOT all Public Servants are Civil Servants.

In other words, someone in the Civil Service is also ALWAYS in the Public Service, and someone in the Public Service CAN also be in the Civil Service, while others in the Public Service may not necessarily be in the Civil Service.