Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 18-02-2022, 07:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Interesting discussions above. I think Adrian tan has sparked an industry-wide conversation on what kinds of environments and treatment junior lawyers ought to accept.

That said, any change in culture must come from the big firms. If they don't lead the way in best workplace practices, change will not percolate to the mid tiers.

At the risk of being cynical, I think working conditions for small firms will continue to remain crappy. Most small law firms are too disconnected from the wider industry to be shaped by progressive trends.

The typical abusive and exploitative 65-year-old small firm proprietor close to retirement is hardly going to inform himself about what is appropriate or inappropriate treatment of his employees, nor is he going to be perturbed at the fact that what's acceptable treatment 30 years ago isn't acceptable today.

The best advice I can give to juniors is, to know your worth and don't be gaslighted or accept abuse. The toxic, previous-generation mindset that "you should be grateful to be employed" and "youngsters should slog it out without complaints in their formative working years" does not and never did hold water.
Totally agree.. I realised the toxicity builds up after one stays for sufficiently long time at a toxic firm. I guess it’s alright to switch firms regularly if that happens; do law firm recruiters take issue if your resume shows you firm hopping?