Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 30-01-2012, 12:27 PM

zeamybro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
Hello everyone, i would like to seek the advice of the more experienced civil servants here.

some background

qualification: NUS Bach of Arts (normal) in 2000
Working exp: 10 years since 2001, currently Asst. Manager & Sales Team Leader in MNC (7 years in the company)

I have decided to take a more relaxed route in life especially after the birth of my child. Working more than 10 hours a day including the weekend is just not viable any more even if i am earning on average of $5000 / month.

Hence, i had applied for a job at a stat board and was offered the position of a Senior Executive recently. The salary offered was $3500 and that is smack right in the middle of the MX 12 range, right?

Based on the experience of the forumers here, is this a fair deal? Should i ask for more? I am replied to the HR that i am likely to accept but should i bargain for a little more?

I do not hope that i sound too materialistic, it is just that with a child in the family and the primary bread winner, i just want to have the best for my child and feel that i am valued by the stat board as well.

INTJ - i may be a bit too late to respond to your post, but bargainning of pay is not totally impossible in the public sector, because i have successfully done it myself. I was offerred 4.5K in a statboard but after i rejected the offer initially, i was counter offered a pay of 4.8K. At the same time, i was also offered a job by another Statboard, but the HR there didnt entertain my request to negotiate the pay.

So my conclusion is that it depends on which organisation you are dealing with, and how much they want you. The offer the HR has given you is calculated based on "how many yrs of relevant experiences" you have been recognised by your interviewer, so this portion could be subjective and more so for candidates with longer yrs of working experiences.

Thats why you could see mid-career officers of around the same age drawing very different salaries in the public sector, depending on how much their job experiences are valued. And Statboards are usually more flexible compared with Ministries.

Coming from private sector myself, the obvios pros of joining the public service is really the job stability and work-life-balance. Good luck and may you have a good career start with the public svc.