Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2022, 11:10 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don’t know what you were doing in 2008 global financial crisis. Still in primary school??
But A LOT of lawyers were retrenched at the peak of the financial crisis. MANY left to be school teachers, and other recession proof industries, your taxi drivers, etc.
Those who were lucky managed to return to the profession. Those not fortunate enough were not able to return. The mindset of posters here, young and immature are also what fueled the GFC in 2008. Reckless, pretentious confidence that everything was going well.
Assuming these anecdotes were true. And I'll be charitable and accept that they largely are.

Nothing you have said here or above supports your proposition, which is that a lawyer should forego a higher international salary now in favour of a lower mid tier firm salary in the interest of making himself recession proof.

An international firm lawyer who loses his job has the option of trying to get back to an equivalent tier firm, or a mid tier firm.

A mid tier firm lawyer who loses his job only has the option of trying to get back to a mid tier firm.

If the international lawyer can't even secure a fallback job in the mid tiers, I tend to think there's carnage at the mid tiers too. It is irrational to forego potential frontloading of income for a miniscule increase in chance of not being laid off at the mid tiers. As I said, an economic crisis will impact all levels.