Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 30-01-2022, 09:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The competition to get into these top UK firms, fighting tooth and nail with local Brits and other high-calibre overseas law students from Ghana, Nigeria, and other parts of the Commonwealth, just to land a slot in one of the vacation scheme assessment centres, and for a chance at a TC, is extremely tough.

Disabuse yourself of the fantasy that international law firms will all suddenly prostrate before you and roll out the red carpet just because you're studying in one of the Russell Group or Red Brick (or lower tier) unis that some of their partners studied in.

Oh and if you're hoping to coast in as a sympathy / diversity hire, I've got bad news for u - they actually prefer black and brown BAME for diversity points, not yellow-skinned East Asians.

You overseas grads make it sound so easy. Imagine framing your second rate uni as a magical key opening doors to all firms. Yes I'm sure they'll bow before the splendor of your Notts or KCL LLB. Seriously delusional and also lacking in critical thinking. Your mental faculties are truly second rate.

The fact that you don't realize what the truly easiest way is to international firms - working in a top Big 4 team before lateralling into one of the international firms here, as so many of my NUS and SMU peers have done, is telling that most delisted grads are here spouting rubbish.
I don’t think OP said they will roll out the red carpet for anyone.
OP was just saying that partners tend to favour people with similar educational background, so if you’re a local NUS grad the path to partnership in a big four is much easier than trying to stake a claim on the magic circle international firms. For a very simple reason. If I am a British/Australian hiring partner in an international firm from Western Sydney University or Nottingham Trent, and I have a choice: to hire a Singaporean who studied in LSE/KCL with FCH or a Singaporean who studied at NUS - which would I be more inclined to choose and why?
You use strong words like delusional, and lacking in critical thinking.
If you’re so smart, why not prove it by joining Sheridan fellowship?
If you’re so disgruntled, the option to upgrade your NUS LLB by going to do a Harvard LLM or BCL Oxford is always on the table.