Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SMU Law (JD) Job prospects
View Single Post
Old 26-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoodos View Post
Hi all,

I am seeking the opinion of folks (or folks who know others) who are graduating from SMU's pioneer batch of Law graduates, either the LLB or JD.

Am especially interested in knowing how the starting pay and placement rate is like for SMU Law grads in the big local firms (Drew and Napier, Allen Gledhill etc) and foreign magic circle firms like Linkslaters and Allen and Overy, compared to their NUS counterparts.

Just yesterday I received an acceptance email for SMU's JD programme. Also applied to NUS Graduate entry, interview and essay went well last weekend methinks.

However, the dateline for SMU acceptance is next week which is before NUS makes their offer. Although I have a reasonable shot at NUS I will have to decline SMU to do so. My Dad suggests that I drop SMU because its not brand name. For this years intake the SMU JD had 173 applicants for 35 places.

Would like to hear the law grads weigh in on employment prospects.

Btw Im age 26 with a masters degree in chemistry, decided for an early career switch into intellectual property and competition law as an advocate.

Kevin
Wow, you must have parents who are filthy rich!! Can afford to give you another 40k to burn and get your 3rd degree!?! Some guys have all the luck.. A lot of poorer Singaporeans don't even have the mean to get their first degree...