Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 26-01-2022, 09:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1. Be resourceful. Balance your own workload. For example, work with others for lesson prep AND there are many resources out there to help you with lesson prep. Don’t start building it from scratch. Innovate. What can you do with little time but maximum output? Do you need to mark every single piece of work in order for your student to achieve good results?

2. Prioritise. What do you need to clear first? Which piece of work has the most impact? Can you delegate some pieces of work out? Not everything needs to be done by yourself. Eg. For CCA, can your students do the planning of weekly programmes and you monitor for safety/budget?

If you do not help yourself, there is very little that the system can help you. Many seasoned teachers do leave sch before 5pm (some days might be even earlier) and only have to chase marking deadlines during peak periods like exam period. Other than that, it is all about being resourceful and prioritising.
T&L aside, there are many workshops, programmes and committee work arrowed downwards to the younger officers. FT duties as well. Or some misc random KPI some SLs or KPs are demanding for periodically. Even with proper planning, many teachers end up with "no life" like what a previous poster mentioned.

And since we're discussing about this...Is there an unspoken advantage old/elderly teachers or KPs have? They are always assigned the more well behaved or higher ability classes, while the lower ability and challenging classes are assigned to the GEO 2s and 3s. They are also more successful in rejecting and pushing the workload to the younger officers.

For e.g. "I cannot take 5 classes this year because I have a family to take care of" or "I'm not good at ICT, it's better for the young teachers to handle this". And the HOD conveniently shifts this workload to the younger teachers since "they are not married/do not have kids/are supposed to be more energetic/are better at ICT".