Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 21-01-2022, 03:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. I can totally resonate with your sharing.

I would consider myself to be doing well, Perf grades of As and Bs, appointed HOD early 30s, but the fact that I am not a scholar halted all progress possible. When I spoke about my aspiration with the SLs, they seemed clueless about how they could support me in my development. This is where I felt let down by the system and them, as farmers generally do not reap what they showed, unless one is contented with good perf grades and stagnant progression.

At the age of 40, I have no answers or anyone telling me that I am no longer in the rat race for VP-ship, or should I say that I was never in the race. It is this mentality and the need to portray themselves as the kind and supportive leaders that makes things unclear. I would rather be told upfront that I should not harbour naive thoughts than to slog day and night only to realised that I have thrown my youth away. Many would argue that one join the profession to teach, and the passion should keep him/her going. That is if you are not ambitious, and you feel enough being a good teacher.

With the HODs not going up, I feel sad for newer teachers who work hard and aspire to make advancements in the career. How many jaded HoDs will be willing to forgo the appointment/seo rank and step down from their position?
I agree with you totally. It's really a huge bottleneck. And I highly doubt HR is regulating the situation well at all. It's really not making the education service very 'attractive' in terms of growing young officers and allowing them to have progression in their career.

And I don't believe every scholar is that 'fantastic'. I've seen some really shitty ones who can't do their roles well but are just there because of the scholar status.