Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 18-01-2022, 06:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Race is difficult to even statistically measure so you can't actually verify whether it's true. But general sentiment wise I'd agree.

Academics alone, and looking at the 2020 batch:

1. Glasgow, Sciences Po

2. Edinburgh

3. Oxford FCH, Yale

4. Cambridge double starred first, Yale

5. UCL, Cambridge LLM

Please do your research by looking at the recent joiners.. if not idk how you're going to be SC or QC. Okay anyway nice chat I'm off I cba doing research for an SC or QC aspirant who can't look up the demographics instead of asking here.
Wow, for lawyers it’s shocking that you guys sure can’t read. This entire thread has been like a first year lawyer dealing with a client - telling the client the law repeatedly without actually answering the legal issue the client has. Hope you guys are better at work than advice. The initial poster specifically appeared to ask you to assume he will get in, not to repeatedly state that he needs a BCL, Oxbridge et al. So if one assumes he had gone in, gotten a pupilage place, a tenancy and what not, what are his odds of eventually becoming QC. If you check online, it does suggest upwards of 10+% of barristers become QC. Those are not especially bad odds. They are not especially bad odds in contrast with an AAS in Singapore becoming SC, with only 94 SC ever conferred.

Given its historical origins however, I think most would choose QC over SC. But statistically, it is probably more difficult to get SC as an AAS than it is to be a QC in the UK if you were a barrister. And if you were Oxbridge, FCH, BCL, Harvard LLM, blah blah blah and are sure you can get into a top set in London, your chances of getting a QC eventually many years down the road are not low. Even as an Asian. Check out some of the leading sets in London. Many have Asian QCs and the profile is slowly changing to be more diverse.