Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 17-01-2022, 09:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for the insight. I'm a current HOD in a primary school, and cannot agree more with what has been mentioned here. I know of outstanding HODs who remain as HODs and never got the chance to attend Vp Interview. Out of my cohort of NIE mates, only one of us is a current Vp appointed at 36 years old. And you guessed it right - he is an overseas scholar. I know of another who from a position of secondary school HOD was appointed as a JC Vice-Principal - also a scholar on the FLP programme. Just look at the linked-in profiles of many P and Vp - almost 80% are scholars.

This is my 13th year in service and at age 39, I know that I have reached the highest appointment I can possibly hold due to my non-scholar status. Truth be told, I have learnt to slow down and take things easy, do a honest day's work, don't short change the students and don't mess up. As HOD, admin work never ends. Much time is spent and wasted at management meetings, energies spent dealing with over anxious parents , weeknights and weekends on marking, ranking and appraisal, exam setting and a host of other duties. After some time, the 'passion' inevitably will fizzle out.

And for the GEO officers who are thinking that the renumeration of a SEO1 officer is good - let me share that on my year of being bumped into seo1 from GEO5, the jump was not more than $250 (excluding the typical merit increment). Although we do not come into the service for purely monetary gains, I would anticipate that MOE would accord better recognition for a milestone promotion such as this.

Fortunately, I have been thrifty in my years of working, and am considering leaving the service in a few years time to take on part time teaching/tutoring for a more well-balanced work life harmony.
Hi. I have been a silent reader in this forum. But I had to post a shoutout to you because I totally agreed with u

I was a cross-leveled deployed SEO2 KP and I am in my early 40s. I got my SEO2 when I was 40. And from the hints my previous RO gave me, my CEP would be that of a VP. And I can say that I do a big piece of work in my school. However. I am not in FLP. 2 of my ex-HQ colleagues became VP as they were under FLP. I was disappointed at first but have learnt to accept it.

Sometimes the life higher up may not be better. I did a calculation of my total income when I was SEO1 and SEO2. My pay with PB as SEO1 was higher than when I was at SEO2. When I was SEO1, my PB was B and now that I am an SEO2, my PB is at most a C. When I saw my VP friends my age working, I am consoled in a way. While being a HOD is busy, I am certainly not as busy as them and I had time to spend with my kids. Paywise, its quite good as well.