Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2022, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree for most part.

I think it's a mismatch of expectations between the older and younger generation of lawyers. The older lawyers were trained "old school" style. It doesn't work with younger lawyers, who prefer their boundaries.
The issue is that the "old school" style (i.e. we work hard last time so you should work hard now like we did) is a complete fabrication. Lawyers in the past used to enjoy large salaries with minimal work and minimal competition. Since filing could not be done electronically, and messages between counsel were mostly posted by hand, there was always an inbuilt lag time between work.

Sure, I believe that "old school" lawyers worked hard, but they just did not have as much work to do as now.

However, nowadays, the old lawyers want to enjoy the best of both worlds... they want to maintain their big salaries, but refuse to hire more associates to handle the increased workloads that come with increased connectivity and 24/7 workloads.

They call young lawyers "lazy" for not working hard (to increase the Partners' profits) but ignore the fact that young lawyers today work harder than they ever did when the EPs were associates.

It's not a good feeling when a toxic boss tells u "oh I did it before what, I did my time liao" and pretend it's a shared rite of passage, when everyone knows the boss probably did half as many hours during his/her days as an associate.

The older lawyers enjoyed much better working hours than we did, but now complain when younger ones ask for a tiny fraction of time to rest.