Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 05:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage69 View Post
It's been great reading the posts here, which - quite understandably - focus on where one can expect larger salaries at a junior level.

That said, it is important not to miss the wood from the trees. International firms have been here for longer than people think. Even White and Case was tied up with CNP Law for some time, Shook Lin with A&O etc. Some, particularly those that are not FLA/JLVs pay well. Others less so.

Even in the former category, the question to be asked is this: what can I get away from this experience, apart from some extra money? As associates, there will come a time where the need to justify one's existence becomes more relevant. After all, the 18k or 22k has to come from somewhere. When that happens, what skills have you amassed, and how marketable are you? At an international firm, quite unlikely you have a book by the time this date of reckoning arrives. In terms of skillset, sure you've been on a number of big deals - but so have many other direct competitors in the marketplace. So what gives?

This is a very real scenario facing many who are nearing 8-10 pqe. Even worse if you are in a lower paying FLA type setup. One only has to look at recent moves from international firms to medium sized local setups to verify this.

I'd therefore like to see the question being posed more holistically. Yes firms are raising salaries, and international firms always tend to pay more. But where can I develop, grow into my preferred practice area, build up a brand - rather than be an overpaid production operator waiting for the date of reckoning to arrive?

wage slave spotted