Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 30-12-2021, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
imo its not so much the profession as the kind of person/personality it attracts.

anecdotal experience - straight guys are chill slackers, usu quit after 2yrs to go inhouse cos dont want to work so hard. by that time the pants size xxl alr and the moobs bigger than cleaner auntie

gay guys are the kind who show up to the office (before covid) looking like they came straight from gq magazine photoshoot and proceed to give 200% 24hrs a day 7 days a week. always damn bitchy about what u wearing like i rly dgaf where my shirts come from pls

girls got 2 types. one is the neurotic easily stressed control freak cry in toilet at lunch for dunno what fk reason kind. do not date/marry. can handle other peoples failing marriage but not their own lmao

the other is as above poster said, super chio ig got 1m followers lunch at mbs use her code for 10% off. this kind you bill all the hours in 1 yrs for 200 yrs still dun have enough money to support her lifestyle

in comparison doctors for example are mostly normal well adjusted people
Nah, it's because of the competitiveness of the industry and the exploitation of the juniors. Lawyers have diverse personalities, just that it takes a certain type of personality to willingly stay and face such exploitative behaviour (i.e. 6k/mth as NQ compared to the 100s to 300+k/month for random EPs in mid to large firms), especially in litigation (where you need to be able to handle large amounts of stress from superiors and clients).

For lawyers, if you want to be successful, you're competing on a global scale (big deals and litigations are rarely SG based), whereas most doctors just need to compete in their heartland mall or around SG at best (SG has the benefit of having comparative wealth in the region, so they can also have better medical facilities, which allows doctors to overcharge).

The medical industry have lobbied successfully to keep SG medical industry locked-up for only a few schools. They also managed to successfully overcharge and bill for medical procedures, safe in the knowledge that people think "money can't buy health".

This allows them to become very close-knit and protectionist, since they aren't fighting off large hordes for patients (for example, try to find a doctor to give expert testimony against another doctor or say they overcharged as compared to finding a lawyer to sue another lawyer).

Also, they have the added benefit of having the general public trust and affection (even if I overcharge you or screw up, the public will believe me), and don't need to fear that their client (or the counterparty) is trying to screw them. This prevents you from being jaded or suffering mental health problems from stress. Even if you f*ck up badly, the patients are unlikely to find out, since the hospital (and the staff doctors/nurses) will help to cover up your f*ckups as much as possible. This creates a far more stress-free environment.

If SG legal industry was locked-up for only a few schools (like it was last time) and charged fees in line with the global market, you'll suddenly find that most of the lawyers are "well-adjusted" too. Couple that up with an industry-wide "agreement" to shield each other, and you'll have saint-like legal practitioners.

It's the industry's fault, not the people inside.