Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone work in JPM/GS/Morgan Stanley back office before?
View Single Post
Old 18-12-2021, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I doubt you work for one of the 3. Every employee in a bank is subject to the same restrictions, BO, MO or FO. This is exactly the same situation as the big 4. So why are you, a BO or MO guy exempt from the same rules as FO? The FO working in the same company could easily tell the MO guy to invest on his behalf. Remember, MO functions like Risk works extensively with FO functions. So you're telling me that MAS choses to stay blind to this very obvious loophole? Btw, this also applies to all MAS exempted buy-side firms. All are subjected to the same compliance checks.

30 days holding period is true but come on you're telling me the FO guys who have practically spent most of their waking houes doing financial modelling (IB) and industry and stock research (S&T) chooses to buy meme stocks because some patterns or lines tell them to buy? So when it comes to their personal finances, they chose to forget their intellectual rigor when it most matters?

If you wanna do day or swing trading, be my guest. But EHM would always prevail in developed markets and you'll eventually be on the losing end. Go to any brokerage and the statistics are telling. 70%+ of all retail traders lose money. Retail traders are the very people using these backward technical analysis models. I don't care who you are, whether you are one of the 20+% retail investor not losing money. If you're speculating on meme stocks like DWAC where all the dumb money are, probabilistically you're gonna end up 1 of the 70+%.

TLDR: You sure the hell don't work in any of these banks, let alone in the financial sector.
I'm not the original poster but some banks have different rules for Public-Facing(Front Office) Vs Non-Public Facing.E.g They erect a virtual china wall etc. I now work for a local bank and MO and BO can trade without any restrictions as long as they use the company's brokerage account. A different set of rules apply for the FO. One of the IBs I worked when I graduate only allows MO and BO to trade and we must transfer all our holdings to their designated brokerage.