Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - DSTA (under Mindef)
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I wld just like to rant abt some inequalities I feel there are at DSTA, and please share with me if anyone has views on this.

1. Pay differentiation with class of honours
Some people have high GPAs that are above 4.5 but did not take up FYPs, and are thus given only second uppers pay. And even though DSTA is always quoted to give high pay according to glassdoor reviews, it seems like the base pay is only ~4.9k to 5k for second uppers, which is WAY lower than mean/median pay for some degrees like those in computing according to GES 2020. I think we definitely deserve higher pay.

2. Gender differentiation
There are many guys at DSTA and the male-to-female proportion seems high. The guys get additional pay for NS, which is reasonable, but also 'unreasonable' in a sense when we compare to other companies in the private sector. Guys working in the private sector may not get such additional monthly pay just because they went to NS for 2 years, so why this difference in DSTA? I feel that females would not have to suffer from this 'unfair pay difference' if they had worked in the private sector instead

Also, the higher-ups tend to be male-dominated, so females may not see a future in career progression here.
Both males and females retire at the same age. Assuming a male and female Dona 4 year degree program, the male start work at 25 years old because of 2 years of NS and the female start work at 23 years old. If they both retire at 65, the male would have earned only 40years of salary and the female would have earned 42 years of salary. Is it then fair for the males to earn 2 years lesser worth of salary?

This is not to mention some males in NS are exposed to higher risks of physical injuries and deaths because of the nature of their vocations?