Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Ex-MOE Teachers
Thread: Ex-MOE Teachers
View Single Post
Old 21-11-2021, 06:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I happened to chance upon your post and I’m in the exact same position as you. I was advised by my SLs to stay another year until the next intake just based on the one lesson observation they graded me on, which I felt was very unfair. Also, I felt like my way of teaching was not what MOE was looking for. I felt like they were trying to mould me into an authoritarian, which I really disliked since I was teaching lower primary and I could tell how tired and afraid they were of the teachers who scolded them for every tiny matter.

I ultimately decided to resign before entering NIE. The 3 year bond seems too much and too risky. I did not want to be a teacher who just settles and ends up being one of those teachers who have no zeal and just does their job for the sake of surviving.
Forestalling a contract teacher’s entry to NIE seems to be the standard practice across the board. I had read/heard that it was because schools didn’t have enough staff and that was the real reason. I also feel that holding an untrained teacher behind for another year is not helpful since he or she would be teaching in his or her untrained ways. If you need a teacher to be more experienced before he or she goes to NIE, doesn’t that mean NIE is useless?

When I was an untrained teacher, I was due to enter NIE in July and was deployed to a school to teach in Feb before that. After observing an untrained lesson with a rudimentary lesson plan, my sup said she thought it better for me to stay for another year. Fortunately for me, the letter from MOE came, asking the school to release me for NIE training, before my sup could make her recommendation to the school.

Prior to me entering the service as an untrained teacher, the interviewers asked me why I had turned down the offer to teach 3 times before. I replied that those offers had stipulated that I teach for a year before entering NIE but I didn’t want to make too many mistakes before going for the training. Not sure if that helped or if that was the reason I was sent a letter prior to the school’s recommendation.