Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Maintenance License and Courses
View Single Post
Old 19-11-2021, 09:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Good day to all,
Here I am doing something which I did not sign up for in the first place. I join S**EC near end 2019. My goal is to become a certified tech with type ratings, for example for certain engine type or aircraft types. (Joined as Trainee Tech, 1 year of training).(3 year bond)
Managed to passed all modules on the first try. Completed my OJT, and was very excited to start working on a real aircraft. Got a real passion for aviation, all the different types of aircraft i can recognise just by one look.

In the midst of my OJT, unfortunately Covid-19 hits Singapore. And before we even passed out as a fully trained technician, we were told that we are gonna be transferred to the office to do admin work. We were devastated.
This is something we got zero control over it. All contract workers n foreigners were being sent back to their own country. Massive cut cost measures were implemented to preserve the business and cash flow. Alot of initiatives were also undertaken during this period of time such as Lean transformation etc.

Since we were trained as technicians, and collected our OJT experience for almost one year, being transferred to the office to do data entry stuff is not exactly what we expect. Not trying to discredit or demeaning the work we do in the office even though it is still aviation related. Entry of tech log into SAP, checking of hrs etc. Think it negatively we can say it is just data entry. Think it positively, we can say that we learn new things.

What we have trained for a year has been wasted. Now working in the office doing work we did not signed up to. We were being transferred to the office to replace those foreign workers who were being send back. So in a sense, they (the company) just throw us into the office.
So what we learnt for the past 1 year at training school? So as to work in the office? The office work we are doing, any intern or other tom dick n harry are able to do it. No need to train for one year. Base and line maintenance personnel mentioned they need more technicians, so why not transfer us to hangar or line, where we can put our skills to use. Now it is already close to 1 year working in the office. 1 year of time wasted.

Now im close to working in the office for one year. What have i gained? To be honest nothing much. Data entry and my first year exp of training which counts to nothing in the aviation world. What counts is type ratings, engine type training in the outside world.

Of cos the company (S**EC) can say that it is becos of COVID 19, so no choice etc. Thats why we are being transferred from maintenance( in the field) to working in the office.
We have no say in everything. We got no options to leave also. 3 years bond. Pay like ****. Bring home only 1.5k sgd.

Lesson learnt, even if u are so passionate about aircraft maintenance/ engineering please you also have to think about the financial side. And also the company dont give a flying **** about employees. To them, protecting the business is all it matters, maintaining the image. We are so replaceable. My passion for aircraft is still alive, but I would never ever wanna work for this company or any other company like this again where not a single damn is given about u.
Of course, protecting business means many will still be employed but lesser pay.Image of the company resembles nation.So survivability is at stake.Be patient, u will have long way to go and opportunities will come.