Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 19-11-2021, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nitrates are a concern for patients taking PDE2 inhibitors. Hypotensive crisis. As it is I dont see many drs warning their patients about informing the A&E dr or paramedics about recent use of PDE2 inhibitor in the event they suffer a heart attack and are brought into hospital for treatment. How many Drs do that? Onus is on the A&E dr to ask before giving nitrates.
These things can be put on the product information or the box labels. Not a big problem. Same with other medications with potential drug interactions.
Another one would be Tamsulosin causing mydriasis and leading to Floppy Iris Syndrome after cataract surgery. How many drs discuss this with their elderly male patients with BPH going for cataract surgery?
I would argue that putting information out there to empower patients is more important because many drs do not know enough. It is not entirely the Drs fault because the breadth of knowledge is just too huge for one person to cover much less go in depth.
Whereas with patients they will google everything about ONE condition or ONE medication because it is relevant to them.
I used to think like you until I realised how important and difficult improving my clinical acumen was. Way less straightforward than you think.