Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 24-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Anonymous is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by econfin View Post
I can't help feeling that you might be too pessimistic, or perhaps I'm just misinformed. But you are a scholar after all, and as long as you keep at it I can't imagine you retiring as only a DD if you stay on and work hard. You will attain your max CEP by early 40s, from a director I spoke to. Does the scholar tag not count even if you do not make AO?

haha - let me guess - perhaps management consulting, if not a trip to business school first? For me I hope to get into finance if civil service doesn't work out, though policymaking is admittedly less transferable to finance than to strategy-type work. I'm already planning how to keep myself as transferable/marketable as possible throughout my bond. Maybe get CFA as you suggested, and try to get those relevant postings too. Also scrimp and save for a top MBA program if I need one after bond.

How much is HiPo allowance, if you don't mind me asking?
Took me this long to respond to this. I was busy making a transition to school and school is tough!

I suppose you are right in pointing out that i'm too pessimistic. I am. Remaining in the civil service yields many benefits. Ultimately the tipping point for me is a primal fear of having zero market value outside of the civil service because I have become irrelevant. I would say I have a pretty good resume for a civil servant yet it is worthless outside the civil service!

Hipo allowance is $20k.

Making another transition now - trying out an internship position soon in a financial institution. Will be doing something that requires some REAL skillsets. I hope i can gain some useful experience for my resume.

I'm not keen on consulting work. Decided not to spend my money on a top business school at this moment either. Better off taking a position in stocks! Studying something else.

Last edited by Anonymous; 24-12-2011 at 10:01 AM.