Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Can share your your car expenditure a month?
View Single Post
Old 25-10-2021, 06:03 PM
Verified Member

kim1995 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I earn $6.5k/mth and I saved up for some years and bought a car slightly over $100k recently. Still wondering if I made a stupid decision. I still have decent savings and investments, but given my income it feels weird.

I do question, why do we as Singaporeans have to work hard yet be expected to settle for mediocrity (public transport)? When people in other countries can buy the exact same car for $20k.
Hmm not to be rude but owning cars in Singapore is never a good investment, even if you make 6.5k a month.

I recall reading a website that did the math for taking grabride everyday vs owning a car. The grabride was still cheaper. On top of that you don't have to worry about parking, sudden car accidents, insurance car scammers or having to drive after a long day of work.

Also public transport is not mediocrity... I'm not sure where did you get that idea... every other 1st world country have public transport, there's upper class people taking them all the time, especially in NY and Tokyo.. These people make close to 300-400k a year yet they still take the train.

Sometimes people just like taking long train / bus rides. It's a good way to unwind and relax after a long day.