Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer Pay
Thread: Engineer Pay
View Single Post
Old 25-10-2021, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Hmm.. But I work 11year In that industry.
Not fresh grad.
Thanks for the encouragement ����
Haha.
I started off with only 2.1K in a GLC after ORD and stayed for 2 years. Performed well and was promoted to another grade within the asst engineer level while another colleague who got a degree moved up to E5. He's a nice guy and we are still good friends even until today. He advised that the reason why he was promoted faster even he wasn't doing much work and acknowledged my stronger competence was because he has a degree regardless of its relevance. I was almost going to take a degree when someone from an MNC contacted me and asked me if I was interested in an Engineer's position. Went for 3 rounds of interview and got in. Fast forward, 12 years down the road, I changed employer once, I draw more than 6K basic excluding bonus as a staff engineer. Don't have a degree but I took several professional certificates along the way like six sigma green belt, ASQ and several ISO certification, spear headed the set up of a department of the same function in India and Poland. These 2 dept located overseas report to me now.

I can only say, you need opportunities and be ready to grab them. I survived 2 retrenchments (Lehmans and Covid) by making myself more competitive and less dispensable and build your connections with the right people. Take initiative because the world won't cater to your competence. Must deliver results and know how to present your results to the right people to gain exposure. The competition globally is very tough so result delivery is critical.

I wish you the best.