Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Ex-MOE Teachers
Thread: Ex-MOE Teachers
View Single Post
Old 13-10-2021, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

I happened to chance upon your post and I’m in the exact same position as you. I was advised by my SLs to stay another year until the next intake just based on the one lesson observation they graded me on, which I felt was very unfair. Also, I felt like my way of teaching was not what MOE was looking for. I felt like they were trying to mould me into an authoritarian, which I really disliked since I was teaching lower primary and I could tell how tired and afraid they were of the teachers who scolded them for every tiny matter.

I ultimately decided to resign before entering NIE. The 3 year bond seems too much and too risky. I did not want to be a teacher who just settles and ends up being one of those teachers who have no zeal and just does their job for the sake of surviving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubehatune View Post
Using an anon account for obvious reasons. Some context: I'm currently an untrained teacher in MOE, and I'm already thinking about leaving the fraternity as I was told that I would not be going to NIE in December and I would have to serve as a contract teacher for another year.

This was on top of a lack of notifications from MOE in 2020 regarding my application. I had he interview in 2019, waited an entire year for a confirmation, and started in mid year. Stalled my own life plans for that, and now I'm told that I'd have to wait another year to get into NIE.

Three main push factors for me now:

1. The further wait of 1 year. This means that I will only go into NIE at the end of next year, serve a year of studies, and THEN become a basic teacher 2 years later. The environment I'm in is good, but I just can't stomach another year of forestalled progress when I have so many ideas of my own for my own business after doing a mid career switch.

2. The rigours. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching and it is my calling. If not for the students, I think I would have already killed myself. What they say about teacher stress is true. I'm already mentally weaker due to abuse when I was young, and the stress is something that I (admittedly) cannot handle.

3. Social anxiety is causing me to really struggle with interacting with my office colleagues, although that is somewhat mitigated due to my previous work experience.

So I was wondering, any fellow UTs resigned from their contracts before going to NIE? I would love to hear from you.