Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 19-09-2021, 08:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you for writing up a reply!

I'm looking to switch careers to OT or speech, leaning more to speech, not a student yet. I used to work in banking and now I'm still in the corp world but another industry. The thing about corp world is that it's not that easy to survive (like everywhere). Treating colleagues well in corp world is lol.. its because u r nice and not because u expect the same unless being nice is the culture in the company. The term is politically correct.

If by any chance u r thinking to go into corp work.. a satisfied person is one who is either very interested in the area that they do (say accounting or engineering or auditing or finance, coding) or the industry itself (say shipping, banking, aerospace) because at the end of the day, the goal of every corp worker is to increase the revenue of the company. Nothing is more important than that. Ur very existence is tied to the kpi, to deal w ur boss or bosses, the people in the other dept and then hope to get promoted.

Then there r those who r engaged in the operational aspects of a company which sometimes can just be mind numbing and meaningless unless u really love the company so much. I think many people have other things in their life which they associate meaning to and work is just a way to earn money. But... haha I cannot.

I guess so yes there could b a bias in forums because rhe happy ones will not b looking at forums to express themselves.

When i went to the ICU, I had a lot of thoughts. ' Oh no why r they alone. R they in pain. R they bored. Will I be like that, how do ppl work in here for so many years, will I b able to, I might be depressed if I have to - being trapped in a room w no sunlight and dim lighting, how do they enjoy this, they must b really kind, must be tiring for them, will I be able to do it. ' these thoughts r actually very exhausting for me lol. Is it normal? Do u all have these thoughts too?
I guess you need to ask yourself what gives you the greatest satisfaction so far over the course of your life.
Some people like the more corporate / big scale / macro kind of work, some like more front line / client facing kind of roles providing a more direct value to your patients / clients.
In healthcare, particularly in allied health I would say, you are mostly confined to your patient facing role. Yes you may have some opportunities to head your department or start your own clinic, but you aren’t going to be a big shot in the healthcare institution, as the leadership is still very doctor-centric.
However if you derive satisfaction from helping one patient at a time, who may or may not be appreciative, then I guess it’s not too bad. There are also non-patient servicing KPIs in healthcare, admin issues, COVID issues, paperwork etc as with all jobs.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app