Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 19-09-2021, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

not sure if i made the right choice in all honesty, haha, since i did not intern at a&g.
If you’re worried over whether A&G over WP was the right choice for you and your concern was about culture, it’s most probable that A&G was the right choice. It’s widely known that partners at WP are extremely tough on associates, and it takes a lot of grit to stay in the team. Comparatively, A&G has nicer partners but brutal hours. If you chose B&F and you want to work in the top teams, you should expect nothing less but excruciating hours, your time becomes very unpredictable and at the mercy of your clients/partners. I speak from experience. This will also be the case in the B&F teams of MC and US firms. That being said, I like B&F because deal flow can be cyclical, most deals don’t drag on, work is fast paced and there’s familiarity in documentation (eg precedents, LMA, APLMA) but room to innovate (eg deal structuring).

Since you’ve chosen A&G, don’t fret over this. Just go in, try your best and learn as much as you can. It’s most important you build a strong foundation as a trainee and A&G provides you that - law school is nothing like practice and being academically excellent often does not equate to having legal capabilities required for practice. Once you qualify as an assoc, your options increase exponentially. Recruiters will be knocking on your door because B&F lawyers are often in high demand, especially from WP and A&G. If you want to move to WP as a NQ B&F assoc then, they would be jumping out of their seat to hire you.