Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 16-09-2021, 01:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello, thank you for sharing your experience on the forum.

It is a shame that there is a strong bias against AU grads in the SG market. We are looking at Uni Melb and USYD because of their comparable top rankings against NUS over the years.

I see that many are commenting on the point that I made about ROI. Just to clarify, as a lender, my role is to know if the money can be made worthwhile. I think many parents have also gone through this phase of evaluation. Of course, for the student (nephew in my case), the emphasis is on the passion etc. But as a young adult, it is only fair that he learns to appreciate the money and not see it as a given just because there is a potential for higher earnings or a step towards a career with a labelled prestige.

Is there also a bias against people from delisted schools? Since the bias against AU graduates are there, perhaps I would advise him to seek out other degrees or to speak with people who were from AU or delisted schools on how they are surviving in the industry if he insists on going down this path.

Yes, his interest is in international relations. But within the family, we are strongly opposing against these courses. Law is the most practical of all courses that is not STEM or commerce.
Short answer - yes. There is a bias.