Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 13-09-2021, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are free to disagree. I am stating an opinion that I believe to be prevalent amongst my batchmates. You can confirm this for yourself by asking W from HR how many DLers declined to train at your disputes team. I myself interned at Baker and decided not to go there. Even the representative from Baker's disputes team was on the defensive during the practice group Q&A session.

If you prefer to cherry pick on teams and ignore the overall rankings, there are other more renowned and higher-ranked teams for construction disputes: Andrea Yeap SC and Ng Kim Beng at R&T; Christopher Chuah and Tay Peng Cheng at WP; Mohan Pilay at PM MPillay; Eugene Tan from Clyde.

The same applies for employment: Murali Pillai SC and Jonathan Yuen at R&T; Kelvin Tan at Drew; Sanjiv Rajan at A&G.

No matter how you flip the coin, the consistent conclusion is that you are better off (1) training at one of the B4s and then making partner or lateralling into a 'real' international firm or (2) training at a 'real' international firm or enrolling into the JLC programme. The other firms also offer far more opportunities to work with top lawyers handling other kinds of commercial disputes.
interesting - heard a few rejected baker disputes recently for better prospects