Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 03:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I’m the OP. English qualified US firm associates in the UK have to do a 2 year TC. I was a 1Y associate in SG, and I was a 1Y associate in my firm in London. In a way, it wasn’t possible to cut my PQE because I’m 1Y. You may get a PQE cut if you move as a 2Y from SG but I can’t say with certainty as I don’t know anyone personally.

I know of someone who was a NQ (only with RLT + TC) in SG, and immediately taken as a 1Y associate with a US firm in the UK. That person got a PQE jump in a way, as other 1Y associates in the firm would have 2 years of training under their belt, while they had 1 year.

It’s also possible for you to be a 1Y in SG, and ask to be pegged as a 2Y for an associate role in a US firm. My recruiter was the one who suggested it but I wasn’t keen because for marginally more pay, there are higher expectations placed on you as a 2Y. I think it’s more important to look at the deals you’ve been placed on, and your levels of involvement on each deal instead of solely focusing on PQE. Someone may have 1 year more experience than you but they could’ve worked on less deals than you during their training or only really handled administrative tasks as opposed to drafting/project management. Don’t sell yourself short! I’ve found that firms in the UK are a lot more flexible with PQE but I’m aware that similar US firms in SG are not the same and would not take you as a 1Y in SG.
are you uk-educated? won’t it be hard to sell to london firms if you have only nus/smu on your cv(no uk exp)