Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Business vs Engineering Degree
View Single Post
Old 15-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman1 View Post
My friend, doing project work and presentations add alot more value and provide good training for much needed soft skills in the working world....this is any time better than spending time on endless mugging which Engineering courses (especially NTU) is notorious for. You are still better off in terms of hours

I am speaking from experience....I came from the business school. I compare myself wif my counterparts from Engineering, I think I beat them hands down in terms of communications and presentations skills anytime...

Engineers are trained to be very good with doing the ground work, the leg work, but they are not trained to be "visible", to showcase their work, to network and interact with senior management....this is the way if you want to climb the corporate ladder quickly (no offence to Engineers but this is a fact)
I work in IB, from what I observe

engineering, physics graduates - quant, exotics/options trader, structurer, market risk managers
general degree - vanilla (FX, MM) traders (Note most such traders are in early 40s, not many openings left for young graduates). Also private bankers
MBA - Sales, structuring, M&A, Corp finance, asset management
accounting - credit risk managers, finance (COO type)