Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 21-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think FM residency has good and bad points. It offers you exposure to a variety of specialities but the learning value of some postings are really questionable. I think it is good for fresh hos who are interested in FM but are unsure where they want to practice in the future. For the more experienced mos, (pgy 3-4) who already know what they want (e.g gpland or ops or Community hospital) it might be better to just continue mopexing in the relevant postings until your bond end

I have gone through FM residency myself and passed mmed last year. I have joined private practice (chain group) since the start of the year and the learning curve is really steep. I compare myself to my colleague who only has gdfm and I can safely say that he is better than me, in terms of both communication skills, procedure skills (I mean he can do H&L and I&D comfortably), as well as practical knowledge (e.g occupational medicine stuff). I would certainly say he is more competent than me even though he has no mmed. (Of course he is 3-4 years more senior than me and has worked in the chain group for past 3-4 years.)
I think you are too generous with your assessment of FM Mmed, it is rubbish for becoming a GP. Not even recognised in Malaysia. Want to be GP just finish your bond and gain more experience in the real world. GDFM optional.