Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 20-08-2021, 12:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There are quite a few random questions presumably from young / jaded doctors, and answers from jaded and seemingly disillusioned doctors.
Please take replies with a pinch of salt and speak to people with actual wisdom.

This question is akin to asking whether driving BMW or Mercedes is better?
If someone asks you such a question, your next followup question is…
Better in what way?
What is your end goal?

Abe to all who say FM residency is useless / subpar in Singapore.
You either have not gone through FM residency yourself, or you happy practicing as an incompetent GP. Residency and MMed prepares you to be a competent FP, managing multitude of issues and coordinating care for your patients, many of whom come to you as the first port of call, trusting you to navigate them accurately and efficiently through the complex healthcare system.
If you practice post man style GP specializing in referrology then you only need MBBS.
I think FM residency has good and bad points. It offers you exposure to a variety of specialities but the learning value of some postings are really questionable. I think it is good for fresh hos who are interested in FM but are unsure where they want to practice in the future. For the more experienced mos, (pgy 3-4) who already know what they want (e.g gpland or ops or Community hospital) it might be better to just continue mopexing in the relevant postings until your bond end

I have gone through FM residency myself and passed mmed last year. I have joined private practice (chain group) since the start of the year and the learning curve is really steep. I compare myself to my colleague who only has gdfm and I can safely say that he is better than me, in terms of both communication skills, procedure skills (I mean he can do H&L and I&D comfortably), as well as practical knowledge (e.g occupational medicine stuff). I would certainly say he is more competent than me even though he has no mmed. (Of course he is 3-4 years more senior than me and has worked in the chain group for past 3-4 years.)