Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Cybersecurity/Info security career
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2021, 09:11 PM

wilsonc is on a distinguished road

hi everyone, havent come in here in a long while and was surprised to see that this thread has 10 pages lol. Anyway, just to share my short experience working in IT cybersecurity industry as a cybersecurity engineer.

Maybe it is the place i was working at or maybe it is the domain i was in but I realised that the average cybersecurity engineer are not very skilled...basically we are like glorified IT worker la.

Secondly, i found out that cybersecurity doesn't really pay well and there's many weekend/sudden jobs at night. Again, this might be due to the place I was at/the role I was in so YMMV.

I think that those who are very skilled and most probably pays well are working in areas such as pentesters, malware analyst so try to aim for that area if you are really passionate about cybersecurity.

Anyway, I left my previous company in less than a year and transitioned to software engineer at a bank. If count my basic pay, I got a 80% increase in salary. So for those who are reading this, if you dont mind doing programming, just be a software engineer unless you really got passion for cybersecurity lol.