Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 08:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
is it advisable for a 33 year old to take a law deg and switch over? any discrimination?
If you're good, you'll still get offers, I say this as a person who took law as a second degree. Although the firms want to know that you have "longevity" in the industry (given the high burnout rate among lawyers), they do so by assessing your application and interview answers (why did you change to law etc) and it is not really based on age (but instead it is based on why you took so long to change to law - is this just a mid-life crisis, will you switch careers again in future etc).

Having said that, nobody really cares whether you are older, it's honestly more about whether you feel bad taking instructions from Senior Associates or Partners who may be younger than you. If you do liti, you may also get scolded by people younger than you, is that something you are alright with?

It's not about discrimination per se, it's just that you'll have to start from ground zero, meaning they will treat you like any fresh law graduate, and you'll have to work from the bottom up. Only you can tell if you're willing to take on a "newbie" role and have to be the bottom of the ladder again.

Additionally, this is something I've seen time and again, you have to really think about the opportunity cost for yourself, especially if you're already in a high paying job:

1. Do you really want to switch and start over (although the money will come in as you gain more experience)? Will the average law pay represent a bump/drop to your current pay, do you think you can stay in law long enough for it to pay off?

2. Do you have enough savings to sustain yourself for 3 years of studies + 6 mths part a/b + the new one year trainee regime?

3. Having left university for so long, are you sure you are mentally ready to go back in, and actually put in the hours to study and get a good grade? It's not easy picking up a textbook when you've been working at a job (on basically autopilot) for years. Remember, if you want this decision to make financial sense, you're looking at mid-size to large firms at the least, meaning that you should aim for at least the top 25% of your class.

Lastly, if you think that it's still worth it, then also consider if your family commitments will allow it (will your family be supportive, can they take the pressure of providing for you/not having your financial contributions for 4 years)?

I'm not discouraging you from pursuing law as a second degree (I've done it myself), but I find that the people who take law as a second degree, and stay in law, have a certain level of family support, stability and are generally starting law school younger than 35 (any older than that and they usually don't do so well in school).

You have to weigh the cost-benefit carefully before embarking on your plan.