Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 12:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Is fm residency really worth doing for people planning to Do gp work in the future?
I am currently a fm resident going through a surgical (orthopaedic) rotation. Unfortunately I am posted to 1 team (spine) for the whole duration of the posting. Personally I don't see much learning value (I mean you don't need 3 months of spine to learn about back pain/neck pain in a fm context) and the spine surgeries (e.g tlifs) have totally no relevance to FM.
Was wondering if it would be better to just quit and join as a ops rp (for the remainder of my bond) before becoming a private gp eventually?

My understanding is that mmed has no value in the private sector, hence my focus is on the learning, how can I maximise the learning for the remainder of my bond so that I can become a competent gp in the future.
It really depends on your main goal at the end of the day.
If your main goal is just to be a salaried GP, or open your chain of clinics.
Clock the hours, see patients, go home, feed your family for the next 30 years.
MBBS +/- GDFM is enough.
Chains are happy to pay you $13-14k to clear the patients even with MBBS.
Patients will see you regardless of your academic qualifications provided you are a decent communicator and you don't prescribe rubbish multivitamins anyhow for dizziness (my wife with normal diet / BMI got this from the rubbish GP near my house).

If you are unsure... It's always to get an MMed first since you are already on track to getting it.
MMed prepares you to be a family physician at a different level.
It's not just to see your patient's one issue and kick them out of the door.
You learn to manage various issues holistically, and equips you to manage various conditions that most MBBS / GDFM graduates would rather refer on.
It also allows you to climb up the ranks in the public sector (OPS, Comm Hosp, FM departments in restructured hospitals...).
It allows you to take on teaching roles, administrative / management roles to make a difference in FM in the public sector.

So at the end of the day, ask yourself what really matters and what you see yourself doing in the long run.
As somebody else posted, FM is in a rather nascent stage at present.
Why not equip yourself to be a part of building FM to be a credible and reliable first line / primary care in Singapore?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app