Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Also note that in UK, these firms rarely ever hire 2:2. Minimum is 2:1 and AAB at A levels.
So bear in mind either fch/2:1 and be prepared to compete with native English speakers in uk.
Yea US firms are notorious for being more picky on grades and prefer to hire fch (unless you’re from Oxbridge). I’ve also not seen a SG lateral hire to a US firm in London that studied at a local uni (but I could be wrong). MC firms are generally more amenable to hiring international candidates (they usually have great relocation packages), there’s less focus on grades and they also tend to hire more candidates than US firms.

One interesting thing I noticed is that US firms in SG tend to be quite strict with docking your PQE but that isn’t really the same in London. There seems to be a lot more flex. It can even be argued SG candidates have an advantage against UK candidates. For eg if you are a 1PQE funds associate who trained in funds during his RLT + TC (or just TC if he studied locally), you can raise the argument that you have 1.5+ or 2+ years of total experience in funds work, and you’d be way ahead of a UK NQ candidate who would probably only have 6 + months experience in funds work (as they rotate seats every couple months). It’s quite shiok to only be a 1PQE SG associate but go to London and be a 1PQE associate as well, especially as US firms don’t have a NQ concept and you jump straight into first year.