Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 22-07-2021, 06:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
also what is the view on mid career switchers in the legal industry? probably will be more than 10 years older than the avg grad from our local uni after finishing the bar exams etc.

i am in the banking industry but i am not looking to do banking related stuff in legal. my interest lies in policies and economics and the related social impacts.

sounds more social science than law but i guess law has its weight in the issues as well.
honestly it really depends on ur aptitude. the mid career switchers/JDs that i've come across range from very good to very lacking.

common traits for the cmi ones include: inability to tahan ****, lack of humility because they think they're older, thinking that some work is beneath them. this is KEY because law firms don't care how many years u have in so-and-so industry or that you spent $30000 on a JD. you start as a grunt like every 24 or 26 year old NQ, so suck it up and do the menial work. Don't like it? Don't join law.

Common traits for the good ones: ability to talk to and hold their own clients, driven, maturity in thinking, understanding of industry needs. basically client facing soft skills.

"interest lies in policies and economics and the related social impacts." --> suggest u don't do law because commercial law is nowhere close to this (at least the kind of work local firms do) and is incredibly dry. What may come close is AGC's international affairs division or or MFA or MTI (they hire a fair no. of lawyers iirc), or some policy division of a Ministry. Barring AGC, you need to compete with grads from all fields including scholars. Law really wouldn't advantage you compared to a Ministry scholarship holder with an Ivy League degree.