Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Need a reality check: CS-related
View Single Post
Old 18-07-2021, 11:23 AM

gurlInTech is on a distinguished road

I just googled Information Systems undergrad degree under UNSW, sorry to say it isn’t computer science. It is more like a hybrid between Computer Science and Business. It is definitely possible to pursue a career in CS but the starting part will be a bit more challenging to convince people you are capable in it.

What sort of “Computer Science” career are you thinking about? Is it Data Scientist, Database Engineer, Software Engineer, Game Developer... or do you mean non-tech/hybrid roles like Product Manager, Business Analyst, Quality Assurance Tester?

Actually my family background is a bit similar to yours, but if you want to pay back your student loan debt you might have to forsake some “passion” for surviving. Most people from tech roles they get bulk of their income from Stocks actually. Don’t even go think about “game development” which most of my friends wanted to go into. They usually don’t get stocks and are lowly paid due to high supply in talents. Avoid non-tech companies also.

In your calculation of paying back, you will need to also subtract your taxes, living expenses, and maybe future couple expenses if you get a relationship. The higher your salary, the more taxes you have to pay also. In Singapore the max income taxes you have to pay is 22% (>320k salary a year - which is extremely rare), but there is no capital gain tax. In other countries the taxes could be much higher. There is no guarantee the salary you will get when you graduate because it depends on the market forces.

I personally feel it will be more practical and better financial sense to enter a local U and take a minor in CS. There are financial aids available. I have a friend in my clique who is from Faculty of Arts with minor in CS and he is literally tanking the CS projects and getting As for CS modules. He is now working as a Software Engineer at a bank.

But maybe you will find your million dollar paying job when you grad from UNSW. Who knows?

Remember, nobody from this forum nor your friends will be paying back your debt. When you made your decision, just go forward and don’t look back. Good luck in your studies!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app